What is OnLive?
OnLive is a revolutionary games-on-demand service that was first announced in March 2009 after being in stealth development for seven years. The OnLive service allows users to play video games on nearly any computer or TV. No longer will gamers need to purchase the latest graphics card or next-generation console to play the latest and most demanding games. Games like Crysis will therefore be playable in high-definition on low-end computers.
OnLive uses cloud computing technology to make this possible. Games are installed and processed on powerful servers located outside of the gamers’ home. The servers then broadcast (stream) the game’s image and sound data over the internet and to the user. All this takes place at lightning speed so that games can be played in real time.
The founder of OnLive is Steve Perlman and he is best known for his role in WebTV and Quicktime.
The following OnLive features were mentioned in the video at OnLive.com.
- A new generation of gaming has arrived
- Onlive is games on demand
- Top titles instantly with no downloads or installs
- Any game, any time, anywhere,
- Access the online service via broadband
- Connect the OnLive MicroConsole to play on your tv
- Or play directly on your PC or Mac
- Onlive revolutionizes the way games are played
- Demo games before you buy
- Watch or join thousands of live games in action
- Most powerful game system ever
- Live community at a massive scale
- Create and share your best gaming moments
OnLive Headquarters Location (Address)
181 Lytton Ave.
Palo Alto, CA 94301 (Map)